Skip to content

Green Supply Chain

Woodchips

Forests are not planted for energy or fuel, but mostly for lumber industry (and pulp & paper) that pays 7x more than energy and fuel market.

The stem of these trees should be as large as possible for cutting planks.

In order for the trees to grow so large, the forest must be managed to create space and light. This is done by removing small trees that prevent the growth of other trees (thinning out the forest). The topping and branches of trees are also removed to prevent unnecessary energy for growing.

Sustainable forestry means that there will be balance between society’s increasing demands for forest products and benefits, and the preservation of forest health and diversity. This balance is critical to the survival of forests, and to the prosperity of forest-dependent communities.

New forest growth will always replace that what is harvested. Protected or primary forest is NOT used and rigorous tracing of origin is used to ensure compliance with all sustainability schemes.

Biomass usage for energy does not drive forest harvesting. We use co-products from timberland that is primarily for growing saw-timber. We use the parts of the tree that are too small for timber industry and residual chips from saw-milling processing. On average the biomass is worth less than 7% of the total harvest value, with no real alternative usage.

Bio-energy from wood is climate neutral: when trees grow they absorb CO2; if they then die and decay, the largest part of this CO2 is released, and the balance is zero – this is called the short carbon cycle. If man burns wood to generate energy, this CO2 is released, but that had happened in nature. We thereby, however, avoid emission of fossil CO2. The

Sourcing

Thinning takes place to make other trees grow taller. Instead of two small trees not growing, one tree can become very large. Larger trees will absorb more CO2 than the two smaller ones. The large trees that are used for lumber will then capture the CO2 for at least 100 years in wooden houses for which it is used.

The thinned trees are too small to be used for purposes other than energy and fuel. Thinning happens for the first time after 10 years in the forest. That is why we can speak of a short carbon cycle of 10 years.

The toppings and branches are sometimes used to give nutrients back to the soil and thus improve the soil. That is an option. Only 10% of the material will actually be effective and the remaining 90% will rot and will be absorbed in the atmosphere within 10 years. Because we use this material, we prevent 90% from causing GHG emissions AND we prevent fossil fuels from being used. Here too, there is a short carbon cycle of 10 years.

We only use wood from forests that are sustainably managed and where regeneration and replanting is guaranteed trough FSC, PEFC and/or SPB certification.

Fuel Strategy and Development

Our dedicated team works to ensure that your fuel procurement strategy is well-planned from project inception to daily operation. What’s more, with strategically located teams and excellent links to key suppliers, we are perfectly placed to establish and manage fuel resources into assets and ensure security of supply.

The scope of services offered include:

  • Pre-operational services
  • Feasibility Assessment
  • Fuel procurement strategy
  • Long term contracting of fuel
  • Operational services
  • Contract Management
  • Annual Fuel Plan

Spot Market monitoring