Skip to content

Feedstock supply

Agri Biomass

In the European Union (EU), more than 11 mio hectares are dedicated to the cultivation of fruit trees, mainly olive orchards, grapevines, nut trees, apple and pear trees, stone fruit trees and citrus fruit trees. Pruning these trees, together with plantation removal due to draught or plant diseases, produces a huge amount of wood waste. This wood waste is usually destroyed by in-field burning or crushing into the soil, which result in no direct environmental nor economic benefits. We advice producers, exporters and buyers based on practical experience how to remove trees, set up supply chain from orchard to customers, choice of equipment and certification process to comply with RED2 regulations and know where to buy high quality agri biomass fruit tree chips or cashew nut shells and broker a deal between parties.

Energy crops

We develop strategies for our customers utilizing producers that can offer certified energy crops like bamboo, miscanthus or other grasses in the form of chips or pellets for their usage.

As Arable crops are characterized by storing approximately 2 to 10x as much carbon dioxide as woody crops, these are an ideal quality for bioenergy generation.

The benefits from energy crops and sustainable agriculture are:

  1. Energy cropsare a very abundant raw material and with a much more affordable cost than oil or coal.
  2. Sustainable agriculture and energy crops developed at degraded land represent aboost for the agricultural sector that, as well as being cost-effective and offering high productivity, also contributes to preserving the soil and preventing its erosion.
  3. Bioenergy obtained from these kinds of crops is renewable, efficient, and sustainable in the long term, so it represents one of the most promising alternatives to fossil fuels and forest biomass.

Forest residue

Biomass usage for energy should not drive forest harvesting. We use co-products from timberland that is primarily for growing saw-timber. We use the parts of the tree that are too small for timber industry and residual chips from saw-milling processing. On average the biomass is worth less than 7% of the total harvest value, with no real alternative usage.

Bioenergy from wood is climate neutral: when trees grow they absorb CO2; if they then die and decay, the largest part of this CO2 is released, and the balance is zero – this is called the short carbon cycle. If man burns wood to generate energy, this CO2 is released, but that had happened in nature. We thereby, however, avoid emission of fossil CO2.

The toppings and branches are sometimes used to give nutrients back to the soil and thus improve the soil. That is an option. Only 10% of the material will actually be returned and the remaining 90% will rot and will be absorbed in the atmosphere within 10 years. Because we use this material, we prevent 90% from causing GHG emissions AND we prevent fossil fuels from being used. Here too, there is a short carbon cycle of 10 years.

We only broker deals from forests that are sustainably managed and where regeneration and replanting is guaranteed trough FSC, PEFC and/or SPB + RED2 certification.